Its now Christmas days and most of us are trying to get home for the celebrations or at least some good holidays. It is during the festival seasons that we experience the most of difficulty in booking tickets, especially the train tickets through irctc.co.in, The Indian railway website. Imagine if I’m doing a tatkal booking which will only be available from 8 AM 2 days before the journey and if the same is for my Christmas holidays, that will be the busiest moment for irctc servers. Having booked the ticket after a long battle with them, I want to share some tips on how to book a tatkal ticket on the worst possible conditions.
IRCTC like India is a democratic website. Here the one with the slowest internet connection and the one with the fastest internet connection can book only in the same speed. The “Service Unavailable!” page makes this possible by randomly displaying it after every user action. So, as you are now ready to book a tatkal, now the time is 7.45 AM, 2 days before the journey. Do the following steps.
- Try to access http://www.irctc.co.in
- If you get the page “Service Unavailable!” or “Page cannot be displayed”, don’t give up, refresh (press F5) until the page gets loaded.
- Log in with your user name and password.
- Press quick book if you know the train number. Here you can directly fill the data and proceed to payment. but sometimes the calender in that page won’t load and you can’t set the date. In that case go to the previous page, enter data in “Plan my travel” page and press “Find trains” button with the current date. Select the train you want and click on the radio button for the desired class. Now you will see the availability of current date as well as the next two days. so click “Book” corresponding to the journey date and continue with payment.
- If the calendar loads properly in quick book page, that’s the best option.
- While doing any of these steps or after processing the payments. “Service Unavailable” page may/will come across. refresh the page until it gets loaded.
- If irctc shows some error, press the back button in your browser and start from the previous page that loaded properly.
- Never log in again in any situation. only retards do that and use “back” and “refresh” buttons instead.
- Try not to waste the time looking at ticket availability. We will check that after booking.
- Be fast. It will jump to waiting list in half an hour.
I know that there is a cool option of booking a normal ticket months before. But we can’t always do that, can we? Tatkal ticket booking as I experience as of now is a tough battle where the fastest or the smartest will survive to get their tickets. But I seriously can’t believe that they are turning of their servers after 10 PM and starting the same daily at 8 AM like office. Happy ticket booking!
Update: Today when I tried to book a tatkal ticket, page didn’t load after money transaction and I lost money like this two times. I will get a reimbursement from irctc and I lost money not because of following any of these instructions, I’m sure of that. But this incident is making me think of inserting a disclaimer.
Disclaimer: The tips and instructions provided above is based on my personal experience and it is only my personal opinion. It holds no warranty. I will not be responsible for any kind of settlement for any kind of loss as a result of following the above instructions.